Junior League of Pittsburgh, Inc.

1940s

1940s

1940s: Children’s Theater added The Children’s Bookshelf, a radio program.

1940-1942 Camera Club is started with annual photo contests

1943: The Junior League of Pittsburgh membership grows to 363 members.

1941 – 1945: The League begins to help the newly formed Civilian Defense Volunteer Bureau by training volunteers on how to address postwar needs in the community. Sewing kits were assembled & blood drives organized.

1949: A recreation program at Woodville State Hospital aided mental patients.

1948 – 1949: The League, in conjunction with the Carnegie Institute, begins a project to open an Art and Nature shop located in the Carnegie Museum. The League managed the shop and provided volunteer clerks.

Woodville State Hospital patients enjoy a game of cards with JLP Member, Miss Crew. It is the first recreation program of its kind and is a huge success with patient morale.

Carnegie Museum Art & Nature Shop-JLP members Mrs. Shoyer, Brown and Lou with Mr. Hillman.