January 5, 1922: 10 women, led by Mrs. Harry Darlington, Jr., met to discuss forming a Junior League chapter in Pittsburgh. They immediately began to author a constitution, research volunteer activities in Pittsburgh, and establish membership qualifications.
June 1922: the League organized its first provisional course. The course included tours of the institutions at which Junior League members volunteered, lectures by local political and business leaders, and lectures by League members about the purpose of the Junior League and its bylaws. The provisional class of 1922 had 50 women.
July 23, 1923: the Girls' Service Club was accepted by the members as the Junior League of Pittsburgh's first project.
July 16, 1924: the Girls' Service Club opened. The girls were referred by the courts, churches, social service agencies or their families. In the first six months, the Girls' Service Club cared for 86 girls.
October 14, 1925: The members of the League voted to open a thrift shop at 5427 Penn Avenue. They believed that a thrift shop would provide a stable source of income and fill a community need for good quality clothes and housewares at affordable prices.
November of 1925: The Wear After Shop opens. In its first month, sales totaled $1,147.
June 1927: The first issue of the JLP newssheet Lights was published and distributed. It contained meeting information and filled the need to keep all members informed about the League's activities.
January 25 and 26, 1928: The Association of Junior Leagues of America selected the JLP to host the Second Regional Conference of Section III. Eighteen leagues from Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia took part in the conference.
January 1928: The JLP voted to enter the City Welfare Fund. This fund was established by several Pittsburgh organizations to raise funds through an annual fund drive. These funds then supported a variety of charities.
October 24, 1928: the League voted to pay off the mortgage on 1220 Sheffield Street, ending its financial responsibility to the Girls' Service Club. The League continued to provide volunteers to the club.
May 1928: The League believed it was time to attend to the cultural needs of children. Many Leagues were producing children's theater at the time and the JLP began planning marionette plays. The JLP stated that they were responding to a need "to contribute to the imaginary life of a child." This was the first production for children in Pittsburgh.
December 1929: The Nutritional and Habit Forming Clinic at Children's Hospital opened its doors.